Thursday, January 6, 2011

A RARE ENCOUNTER WITH THREE UNIQUE KENYAN POLICE OFFICERS

By Apostle William K Korir,

It was on Wednesday, 5th January 2011 at around 11.30a.m. when I was waved down by a traffic Police Officer near the Gilgil junction. That morning I had left my home in Kericho and was heading to my home in Kitengela, some 37 kilometres to the South East of Nairobi. The Officer who I later learned was named Mbaya, told me that he hailed from Meru. The Officer spoke to me gently and he was a humble Officer who loved his job. He informed me that as my windscreen was broken, I had to accompany him to the Police Station. He requested me to hand him my Driving Licence, which I did. I introduced myself to him as Apostle William K Korir, and the Officer showed me a lot of respect and when I requested him to consider my request to let me go, he gently insisted that I accompany him to the Police Station to secure a Cash Bond and thereafter proceed on my journey to Nairpbi. He stopped a Matatu and found several faults and he Boarded the Matatu and proceeded to Gilgil Police Station and asked me to follow him and I did. 


Kenyan Police
On arrival he immediately booked me on a register and asked me to pay Kshs 5,000.00 Cash Bond and to appear before a judge at Naivasha Court the following week. He took the matatu driver's Driving Licence and extracted Kshs. 100.00 which he handed back to the driver, saying - NOT EVERY POLICE OFFICER RECEIVES bribes. What can kshs. 100.00 assist me with? ... He inquired from the driver. "We are under a new constitution and things must change!" He added. The Police Officer spoke with humilty as he discouraged corrupt practices... Two other senior Police Officers including a base Commander were amazing - they spoke with great dignity and this touched me so much that I felt all must know. 

From the way they spoke, I believe that, the Kenya Police is under going tremendous transformation and I believe by God's grace that one day and very soon, Kenya shall have a corruption free Police Service.
Kenyan Traffic Police Officers at work


The Kenyan Police Commissioner should recognize the three officers; Mr Mbaya - from Meru, Naomi and the Base Commander (Lady Officer) for their exemplary work they displayed to me for the 10 minutes they served me. They discharged their duties deligently!  

 Since independence the country has had ten (10) Police Commissioners as follows:-
1) Bernard Hinga (1964-1978)
2) Ben Gethi (1978-1982)
3) Bernard Njinu (1982-1988)
4) Philiph Kilonzo (1988 - 1993)
5) Shedrack Kiruki ( 1993- 1996)
6) Duncan Wachira (1996 - 1998)
7) Philemon Abong'o ( 1998 - 2002)
8) Edwin Nyaseda ( 2002 - 2003)
9) Major General Mohammed Hussein Ali (2004 - 2009)
10) Mathew Karai Iteere ( 2009 .... Current)